Living a Nonviolent Life
March 17, 2018 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
A Workshop with Fr. John Dear
This event is sponsored by:
- Pax Christi Maine
- Center for Faith and Spirituality at Saint Joseph’s College
- Unity of Greater Portland
Rev. John Dear is a long-time activist, priest, author and lecturer. He served for years as the director of the Fellowship of Reconciliation, the largest interfaith peace organization in the U.S.
John has traveled the war zones of the world, been arrested some 80 times for peace, led Nobel Peace prize winners to Iraq, recently visited Afghanistan, and given thousands of lectures on peace across the U.S. He recently helped draft Pope Francis’ Jan. 1, 2017 World Day of Peace message on nonviolence.
He is a co-founder of Campaign Nonviolence and the Nonviolent Cities Project. He has authored 35 books, including: The Beatitudes of Peace and The Nonviolent Life. He has been nominated many times for the Nobel Peace Prize, including by Archbishop Desmond Tutu.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM LIVING A NONVIOLENT LIFE
Using his book, The Nonviolent Life, John will guide us in reflections on our individual and shared journeys deeper into the life of creative nonviolence.
- First, we will have a session about being nonviolent to ourselves, and cultivating inner peace and nonviolence.
- Then, a session about being nonviolent to all others, all creatures, and Mother Earth, and how we can deepen our interpersonal nonviolence.
- Finally, we will have a session about our vocation to help build up the global grassroots movement of nonviolence, to work for a new world without racism, poverty, war, nuclear weapons and environmental destruction, a new world of nonviolence.
Saint Joseph’s College
278 Whites Bridge Road
PREREGISTRATION REQUIRED… SEATING LIMITED
Registration deadline: March 3, 2018.
- Call 207-893-1233, Extension 5
- Email Unity of Greater Portland
- Register online now, below, using any major credit card or PayPal.
Cost: $30 – $50 with lunch included. If you register online, please bring your receipt with you to the workshop check-in desk.
Enter the amount you wish to pay ($30, $35, $40, $45 or $50) during the check-out process. Begin by using the “DONATE” button below.
For more information, call Steph at 207-893-1233 or send an email.